Would you like to get more involved and join us in our vision of economic discipleship? Here are three ways:
1. Subscribe, comment, and post on this blog.
Our goal is that less than half of the posts on this Simple Living for Just Giving blog would come from the editors. We warmly invite you to share your thoughts and experiences concerning economic discipleship. We’d be especially interested in:
- Concrete personal choices you’ve made to simplify your lifestyle, and how that’s impacted your spiritual life.
- Worthy causes you’ve given to in order to fight poverty, and why you feel they are effective.
- Reflections on biblical passages that have concretely impacted your financial stewardship.
We’ve made it easy to submit posts to this blog! Just contact us & we’ll make you an official Contributor right away.
2. Lead a Lazarus at the Gate or Global Poverty Impact group.
If you’d like to help teach others, or learn more in a group context, please see our Resources page.
3. Form a Giving Group wherever you live.
We’ve been considering for quite a while what comes next after Lazarus at the Gate or Global Poverty Impact. Living out God’s call to economic discipleship is a lifetime process, and we need the support of brothers and sisters in Christ the along the entire journey, not just during one short small group “experience.” Many of us are finding that it’s just too hard and not nearly as much fun to live a counter-cultural lifestyle all alone.
Our vision is that each Giving Group would:
- Include at least two people
- Meet at least quarterly for at least one year
- Agree to at least one Simple Living Commitment that limits personal spending in order to increase giving.
- Agree to at least one Just Giving Commitment that invests a sum of money to empower or benefit the poor.
As more of these groups come into being, we hope that participants would share their reflections on this blog as a way of creating a wider sense of community. We’d also like to list on this page (anonymously) the basic commitments of each group as a means of “spurring each other on to love and good deeds.”
Right now we only have one group! But here’s the basic profile, just to provide an example of what we’re talking about.
- Group Members: Two families
- Location: Boston, MA
- Simple Living Commitment: Live at a “living wage” level, and give away all other income.
- Just Giving Commitment: Support Mennonite Central Committee, World Vision, and provide microenterprise loans through MicroPlace.com.
- Time commitment: indefinite
If you are interested in starting a group like this, please contact us! We’d love to talk more…