Every Tuesday in Lent we’re highlighting a different aspect of the global water crisis, so it’s very convenient that today is World Water Day. (I wish I could say I planned that, but I can’t.) Since the UN and every respectable NGO out there are doing their part to raise awareness, I thought I’d just post a few of the best links I found. I’ve arranged them in a kind of Easy Ten Minute Guide to World Water Day.
- Facts from Water.com
- Good resources from the official World Water Day site.
- Really cool campaign from One Day’s Wages.
- The inspiring impact of water filters in the Sudan from World Vision.
- Simple two minute graphic presentation from charity: water.
In commemorating World Water Day, we pray especially for the millions who do not have access to clean water or who face regular water shortages. Millions of children die every year from preventable water-borne diseases, and it should not be so. On behalf of those who lack important resources, stir us to righteous anger and propel us to action, Lord. For your kingdom and for your glory, amen.
from the Ursuline order:
Creator God, whose Spirit moved over the face of the waters, who gathers the seas into their places and directs the courses of the rivers, who sends rain upon the earth that it should bring forth life; we praise you for the gift of water. We believe that water belongs to the earth and to all species. We believe that water must be conserved for all time. We believe that polluted water must be reclaimed. We believe that water is a public trust to be guarded at all levels of government. We believe that an adequate supply of clean water is a basic human right. Create in us a sense of wonder and delight in this and all your gifts, that we might receive them with gratitude, care for them with love and generously share them with all your creatures, to the honour and glory of your holy name. Amen
from the WCC:
God of life, God of all those who walk miles for water, God of those whose only supply is contaminated, bringing death, not life: May water, clean and lifegiving, be available toevery living creature. May that vision move forward. May your will be done. Amen.
- Donate your facebook or twitter status to raise awareness.
- Change your desktop background to one of these clever graphics to remind yourself about water.
- Make a contribution to our Simple Living Challenge through charity: water. Even $5 can change somebody’s life.
- Drink only tap water today, and remember those who don’t have it with each glass.